“The art of medicine consists of amusing the patient while nature cures the disease”. Voltaire knew what he was talking, what he didn’t know was that he managed to give a subtle hint towards the use of alternative medicines. These medicines are alternates to our modern allopathic approach. One such form of healing is Aromatherapy. ‘Aroma’ means smell and ‘therapy’ means treatment intended to relieve. There are many benefits of Aromatherapy that most people are unaware about. They limit it only to a pamper session at the spa or a simple relaxation modality at home. Aromatherapy is the use of volatile plant materials known as essential oils and other aromatic compounds for the purpose of healing and improving one’s health. Different fragrances have different effects on our mind and body. Certain aromas can make you feel nostalgic and bring back pleasant memories. This feeling of nostalgia and calmness helps to fight stress, anxiety and even insomnia to some extent. When essential oils are applied on the skin, they exert rejuvenating and anti-microbial effects.
There are three modes for the application of Aromatherapy namely,
Aerial Diffusion: Doesn’t it feel great to enter a room that smells nice? The fragrance lifts your mood and gives a sense of relief and comfort. Aerial Diffusion involves making the environment fragrant and pleasant as well as disinfecting the air.
Direct Inhalation: Remember your granny’s advice about inhaling the scent of Eucalyptus oil? She was right; it helps to alleviate symptoms of the flu and is an effective decongestant. Direct inhalation of aromas has favorable psychological effects besides aiding in respiratory disinfection.
Topical Applications: Essential oils when applied to skin have various benefits. Topical application would mean using these oils for massage, baths, compresses and skin care.
The benefits of Aromatherapy are endless some of which haven’t been researched yet. Below are some advantages of Aromatherapy.
- Did you know you can live for weeks without eating but will most likely die after 11 days without sleep? Insomnia is caused due to a myriad of reasons like stress, emotional or physical discomfort, medications, environmental factors like noise, light or extreme temperatures. It is often characterized by difficulty falling asleep, waking up often and not being able to go back to sleep, waking up too early or feeling tired upon waking. Aromatherapy encourages restful sleep and assists with sleep disorders.
- Does your tummy rumble and make you regret eating that apple pie? Or do you feel like your stomach is about to burst after or during a heavy meal? If this was your story, you were probably suffering from indigestion or dyspepsia. Indigestion is common in adults and occurs at least once in a while. Wouldn’t you like to get rid of this menace that gets between you and your food? Aromatherapy offers a natural solution.
- The scents of Lavender, Juniper, Lemon grass, Lemon Verbena, Orange, Peppermint, Rose, Rosemary, Sandalwood, Thyme, Anise, Fennel, Ginger and Basil all help in relieving the symptoms of indigestion.
- Fragrances can invoke a sense of tranquility. A whiff of your favorite scent can make you feel relaxed. Aromatherapy is an effective stress-buster as well. It gives you a general feeling of well being through massage and the use of essential oils. It helps reduce anxiety which is an unpleasant state of mind. Anxiety is marked by a constant tendency to worry about the slightest of things. This interferes with a person’s normal day-to-day life.
- Lavender, Melissa, Myrrh, Bergamot, Cardamom, Chamomile, Cypress, Frankincense, Rose, Pine, Vanilla, Marjoram, Neroli, Nutmeg, Patchouli, orange and lime alleviate the symptoms of anxiety.
- For depression oils like Lemon, Marjoram, Neroli, Peppermint, Patchouli, Rosemary, Sandalwood, Angelica, Bergamot, Cedar wood, Jasmine, Lavender, Geranium, Ylang Ylang and Clary Sage might prove to be better than a prescription of anti-depressants.
- Aromatherapy helps to balance hormones produced by the endocrine system. Essential oils such as Clary Sage can mimic Estrogen. This can be beneficial for women with PMS symptoms and also those going through menopause.
- Oils like Angelica, Basil, Caraway, Chamomile, Ginger, Clary Sage, Lavender, Rose, Rosemary and sage ease menstrual cramps.
- A weak immune system means a guaranteed entry for non-resident organisms that can adversely affect your health. Aromatherapy helps to combat viruses, bacteria and fungal infections. It is a natural route to wellness and well-being.
- Oils like Angelica, Basil, Cedar wood, Clove, Cypress, Eucalyptus, Fennel, Ginger, Hyssop, Juniper, Rosemary, Tea tree and Marjoram aid in lung or sinus congestion.
Reduce Pain and Fatigue
- That feeling of extreme tiredness and lethargy can keep you from achieving your goal. Work takes its toll on you in fact functioning normally also becomes a challenge. The benefits of Aromatherapy include reduction in muscle pain and soreness.
- Essential oils like Bay, Caraway, Chamomile, Eucalyptus, Frankincense, Ginger, Geranium, Juniper, Lemon Grass, Lemon Verbena, Rosemary, Sandalwood, Patchouli and myrtle can aid in muscle soreness.
- Oils like Basil, Angelica, Cedar wood, Clove, Eucalyptus, Jasmine, Frankincense, Lemon, Neroli, Marjoram, Peppermint, Patchouli and Vanilla have the ability to help with fatigue.
- For headaches, Basil, Chamomile, Cinnamon, Ginger, Eucalyptus, Lavender, Lemon grass, Melissa, Marjoram, Peppermint, Thyme, Ylang Ylang and Clary Sage are fine treatment options.
- The benefits of Aromatherapy are many but this one here is good news for those battling with blood pressure issues. The use of essential oils through a massage can cause the blood vessels to either constrict or dilate thereby raising or lowering blood pressure. It improves blood and lymphatic circulation.
The benefits of Aromatherapy are plenty. The popularity of modern medicine and therapy has made us forget about the natural alternatives available. Nature is the giver of life and it has answers to all your questions. Wouldn’t it be nice to gift your loved one an Aromatherapy hamper with some of the most soothing essential oils, diffusers, scented candles and massage lotions? Be thoughtful and show them you care with an Aromatic Surprises Gift set or Truly Enchanting Diffusers and Candles from Gogappa. If that’s not enough browse through our collection of Aromatherapy gifts and let your gift speak your mind.
IMAGE CREDITS: cdn.womensrunning.competitor.com, athenamedicalclinic.com, 2.bp.blogspot.com, mnn.com, essentialsurvival.org, blog.doctoroz.com, soshable.com, gogappa.com